Before You Apply
Before starting your application, please read the information below and use the links in the sidebar in order to familiarize yourself with Memphis City Schools' rigorous application process and full-scale selection model.
1. Read through the content specific to you
Before starting your application, please identify and review one of the pages listed below that includes information specifically for you:
- If you hold certification in Tennessee or another state, read the Certified Teachers section.
- Applicants who are not certified but are interested in teaching should read the Become a Teacher section.
- Current MCS teachers who would like more information about the upcoming transfer period should review the Current Teachers section.
2. Check your eligibility status
Certified applicants as well as those interested in an alternative route certification must meet our minimum eligibility requirements. Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree or higher, be a U.S. citizen, and pass a criminal background check. More information about MCS' eligibility requirements can be found in our FAQ section HERE.
Our streamlined online application is easy to use and submit. To get started, click the 'Apply Now' link above. You will then be directed to the Memphis City/Shelby County Schools Applicant Login page. Once there, please create an application account by clicking the 'Create New Account' button at the bottom of the application login page.
Please Note: As we have moved to a new application system, all previous applicants must reapply to be considered for 2013-2014 teaching positions. You must create a new account to begin the 2013 Teach Memphis application. When you click 'Apply' and are directed to the applicant login page, please click the 'Create New Account' button at the bottom of the application login page to create your new application account. After creating a new account, you will then be able to log in and out of your account to access and complete your new application.
Helpful Application Hints:
- If you previously applied for non-instructional positions (e.g., substitute, administrative, teaching assistant, etc.) with Memphis City Schools, you may already have a classified Memphis City Schools application on file. However, you must create a new account to apply for full-time teaching, librarian and guidance counselor positions. When you create your new account, you should choose 'Certified' as your applicant type. Note: When creating your new account, you must use a different email address from the one that is associated with your classified application.
- When completing your application, please be sure to have the following items on hand:
- your resume saved as a Microsoft Word document
- contact information for three professional references
- copy of your certification (if any)
- transcripts from your undergraduate and/or graduate institutions
- Praxis score report (if applicable)
- Once you input text into all of the required fields, your application will automatically be submitted for our review. You do not have to press a 'Submit' button. Please keep this in mind while completing your application. To ensure that your application is not automatically submitted before you are ready for review, please do not put any placeholders in required fields that you may intend to come back to later (e.g., essay exercises). Instead, leave the fields you are not ready to complete empty and log out. When you log back in, you will still be able to edit your application. After you have successfully completed the application, you will receive an email confirming that we have received your application.