Alternate Route candidates must meet ALL of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be or become highly qualified in a high-need subject area through ONE of these three ways:
- Have a major in one of the qualifying subject areas OR
- Have a minimum of 24 credit hours in the subject area you will teach OR
- Pass the Praxis II in the subject area you will teach (the Praxis I is not required to teach with Shelby County Schools).
- Have a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Pass a criminal background check.